Tuesday 30 June 2015

CLOSER THAN MY EAR...

I stepped my foot into the water,
And let it all out.
I left it all behind.
Step after another,
Before I know it, 
I'll be in, 
Perhaps safer from the past I have known.
So deep the whole of me will be submerged. 
A truth I have longed for,
Longer than a single breath can take,
To last longer than a breath.

The ebbs and whirls, a truth I have established. 
I want to do it all with you. 
Surviving in the deep  may be hard,
Deep enough to want a partner,
Though none forthcoming,
Or am I unlucky?
The single woman's dream,
To have a guiding hand in the water,
On a waist as lean as mine,
Hands softer than yours, I am yet to see,
Feel.
But I am willing to share your breath.
For mine will soon run out.
You have taken the whole of me.
Be part of me,
Deep as I am in the water. 
Scared I may have been at the beginning, of whence to come up for breath.
Each instant so fast, 
I'm not sure I caught enough.
Did I breath in deep enough?
When will it run out?
The swim, I look forward to,
The guiding touch that is your hand,
One to hold one's breath over.
The palm of your hand on my lean waist,
And your reassuring voice,
Closer than my ear.

And I start to run out of breath,
My mistakes flash before me.
My kicks don't seem hard enough,
My scream not loud enough.
I'm going under.
My hands reach out for you, are you there?
I begin my end, with the acceptance that I am who I am, 
Alone in the waters,
Trying to make the best of what's left of me,
But I reach out,
The water, it slips through my fingers.
I want to make what's left bigger than the single first step.

And then you carry me,
Your hands on my lean waist, 
Nothing softer than your guiding hand,
The sound of your voice,
Closer than my ear.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment